Wednesday, May 29, 2013

How to Rent A Post Office (PO) Box in the Philippines

What is a Lock Box?
A Lock Box or popularly known as the Post Office (PO) box allows you to have an alternative address to deliver your mail or package instead of giving your home address.

What is the size of the PO Box?
There are three sizes:
- Small (6 1/2 x 5)
- Medium (6 1/2 x 10 1/2)
- Large (13 x 10 1/2)





How long can I rent a PO box?
You may choose to rent out a box for an entire year or quartly. The quarterly period begins on the first day of January, April, July, and October. Regardless if you rent in February and pay for the full quarter fee, you rental period will still end at the last day of March.

How much to rent a PO Box?

Small
- Php1,000/year
- Php300/quarter

Medium
- Php1,500/year
- Php420/quarter

Large
- Php2,000/year
- Php550/quarter

For new box holders, an additional Php150 will be requested for the lock and keys.

Yearly Rates at the Makati Post Office
I was able to get the quarterly rates by conversation with the Postmaster.


What are the requirements of rent a PO box?
For personal use, you will need
- 1 pcs ID Picture (size 2x2)
- 1 Photocopy of any Valid ID
- Letter of Intent (addressed to the Postmaster)
- PO Box Application Form (Click Here)

Why I will NOT rent a PO Box:



  1. The boxes can easily be accessed. Anyone can enter the vicinity of the PO boxes. The hallway is even offered as a parking space for motorcycles.
  2. The PO Boxes are not maintained at all. Most of the boxes in the Makati branch were extreme rusty.
  3. The price is too expensive given the condition of the PO Boxes. 

I seriously wanted to get a PO box for the privacy of my online purchases; however after seeing the condition at the Makati Central Post Office, where I obtained the information on this blog, I would rather sacrifice my preference for privacy. Though, I would really like to see this renovated or improved. Maybe with in the future? It has so much potential considering that people purchase a lot online nowadays.

19 comments:

  1. thanks for this info. very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to get one but after seeing this SIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.... I really wanted to get one since the one near my house is only open from 8am - 5pm which is sadly the same time as my office hours. Makati brance is open from 7am... Sigh..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. did you find an alternative I got a problem too

      Delete
  3. do you have another option in mind? i cant use my house address as im always outside and i live alone. Im still looking for options where i can i have my items ordered online be shipped to. please email me ice.pajarillaga@gmail.com, if you still have other recommendations for my mailing address challenge. thanks
    Nice article btw :) very helpful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. did you find an alternative too?? I got a problem.

      Delete
  4. Rent a virtual office of sorts. http://www.regus.com.ph/virtual-office/philippines/manila

    ReplyDelete
  5. naturally like your web site however you have to test the spelling on quite a few of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very bothersome to inform the reality on the other hand I’ll definitely come again again.Rent a Private Mailbox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Considering a P.O. box for the privacy of my online purchases too. I had no idea about the state of our post office P.O. boxes, though. Wow. I wonder what alternatives do we have?

    Thanks a lot for the FYI!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this...very informative👍

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. been 2018 and lookinh for a po box for rent but still no update hayyysst sayang

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like to know if where this place because i want to rent thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makati Central Post Office
      Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue, Makati City, Metro Manila 1200

      Delete
  11. Hi. Can i ask for sample format for Letter of intent?
    Thank you....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does anyone know if the po box at makati post office were included in the renovation?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Go to the nearest PHLPOST and inquire for PO Box rental.
    I've rented mine in Quezon City and their rate is 1,200 annually (As of October 2020). I didn't requested for key as the lockers are inside their office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I would like to ask if you can rent at any PHLPOST branch even if the address on your ID is different? Thanks!

      Delete
  14. I have a PO Box at Greenhills Post Office, which is inside Connecticut Arcade. Very clean especially compared with other post offices that reek of urine.

    ReplyDelete